Friday, October 30, 2009

Ode to my Trip to the ROC-Taiwan

Whoever thought that my first time
would be to travel across time.
12 hours ahead,
and a lot of jet lag
but it doesn't compare
to the moments we had.

To think that I would go see Asia,
to think that I would say "I went to Taiwan!"

I never thought this little island,
would take a piece of my heart.
I never thought this distant island,
would make me miss it and love it in all time constant.

Ilha formosa the portuguese called it,
Beautiful Island for those who don't know it.
I would add, rich and warm,
Not much for the weather but from the heart.
And inspire the need to visit it,
Not much for the material treasures but for the knowledge it adds.

It's people filled my every emotion,
They eased my fear of different and caution.
They define the word "helpful"...
They will accomodate you in every effort.

Different is the word I used to describe
Many of the things that I lived during this time.
Different is a word that doesn't challenge
Any of the things I did at the time.
Different was good, different was enduring,
Different was getting to know a culture worthy of exploring.

Pleasant was my stay,
Pleasant were their words.
Pleasant was the feeling of security,
Pleasant as if I were home.

Everlasting friendships,
Everlasting memories.

Pictures and treasures,
Colors and incense.
Xie Xie, and Nihao,
Bu-yao-tan and 啤酒
Those words make me happy,
those words make me giggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment